Visitors Center

Hus med spetsiga tak. Visitors center.
Photo: Susanne Hallmann.

1923 saw the completion of a staff and service building in the southern part of Skogskyrkogården, between the Woodland Chapel and the Chapel of Resurrection.

The building was designed by Gunnar Asplund and has puzzled many people due to its, to say the least, unusual design. It is a playfully shaped wooden building on one level, entirely in green, made up of four square pavilions with very pointed, tent-like roofs clad in metal. The building housed a canteen and changing room for Skogskyrkogården’s staff, divided up so that the women had one side and the men the other.

Renovated in 1998 to house a visitors and information center, it was renamed the “Tallum Pavilion”, after Asplund and Lewerentz’s competition entry “Tallum”.

The pavilion was opened to meet the general public’s increasing interest in cultural sites and as a result of the Skogskyrkogården being inscribed on the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in 1994.